The Humble Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 potatoes, large with skin, diced
- ⅓ cup milk, skim
- ½ pound ground turkey, 85% lean
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 can vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1 pack (10 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- shredded cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp oil
- Place diced potatoes in saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them well. Stir in milk and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat, and brown the turkey. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetables and broth to the skillet and bring to a slow boil.
- Spoon the vegetable/meat mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish. Spread potatoes evenly over the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with shredded cheese (optional).
Need help with food costs? The Pennsylvania Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly called the Food Stamp Program) may be able to help you and your family buy food needed for good health. To apply for SNAP, you can print and fill out the application form and mail it to your local office. You can also apply online. Visit the SNAP website for more information.