Dinner Table Hero: The Classic Meatloaf
- pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 Tbsp rolled oats
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Put a skillet over medium heat and when hot, add the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and thyme and cook for 10 minutes or
- Lower the heat and add the water and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes until the onion is soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool. Add the mustard, salt and pepper.
- While the onion mixture cools, put the ground beef, 4 tablespoons rolled oats, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl and gently mix by hand.
- Add the cooled onion mixture to the beef mixture and gently mix again until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Form the mixture into a loaf-shape, about 8×4 inches, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- To make the glaze, mix the tomato paste and mustard in a small bowl. Rub on top of the meatloaf and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of rolled oats.
- Place the sheet in the oven for about 1 hour until deep brown on top and cooked throughout. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Need help with food costs? The Pennsylvania Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly called the Food Stamp Program) may be able to help you and your family buy food needed for good health. To apply for SNAP, you can print and fill out the application form and mail it to your local office. You can also apply online. Visit the SNAP website for more information.